Skip to content

Our History


Holy Family Church 

The Holy Family Catholic Church in Tingalpa, Queensland, is a relatively new church. Built in 1990, primarily by voluntary labour, it was blessed and opened by Archbishop Rush in 1991.

Saint Oliver Plunkett Church

The history of Saint Oliver Plunkett Church Cannon Hill dates back to 1921, when the first Catholic church in the area was opened. The church was named after St Oliver Plunkett, a seventeenth-century Catholic martyr who was canonized in 1975. The church was designed by G.H.M. Addison, a respected Brisbane architect, and decorated by Allen Oxlade, a renowned artist.


The building of a Church was proposed.

19 June1921

Blessed Oliver Plunkett Foundation Stone was laid.

7 August 1921

Opening of Blessed Oliver Plunkett Church by Archbishop D. Mannix of Melbourne.


Blessed Oliver Plunkett parted from Bulimba Parish. Rev J. Hegarty became the first Parish Priest.

7 June 1925

Foundation Stone laid for the Presbytery was laid by Archbishop Duhig.

6 September 1925

Presbytery blessed and opened by Archbishop Duhig and Bishop J Heavey of Cairns.

1930s - 1948

Eucharist was also celebrated in the Hemmant Hall.


The Presentation Sisters arrived.

Jan 1947

Classes commenced in the Church.

6 April 1947

Convent blessed and opened at 29 Beauvardia Street by Archbishop Duhig.

6 April 1947

Official opening of the school by Archbishop Duhig.

18 March 1951

School Foundation Stone was laid.

9 March 1952

New school building was blessed and opened by Archbishop Duhig at 17 Beauvardia Street.

1952 - 1992

Our Lady of Fatima, Murarrie was a Mass Centre for the parish.

1954 - 1979

Santa Sabina, Morningside was a Mass Centre for the parish.


Presbytery was extended.


Convent was extended.


Confessional room was added to left side of Church.


The block of land at the rear of Church was sold.


The swimming pool was built.


The church was extended.

October 1973

New Church built at Murarrie.


The name of the Church was changed to Saint Oliver Plunkett following the canonization of Blessed Oliver Plunkett by Pope Paul VI.


The school changed from administration by the Presentation Sisters to lay administration.

Dec 1986

The Sisters withdrew from the school.

17 March 1987

The presbytery became the convent and vice versa.


Family Support Centre opened.

24 Dec 1990

The first Mass was celebrated in The Church of the Holy Family, 41 Belmont Road, Tingalpa.

17 February 1991

Church of the Holy Family, Tingalpa was blessed and opened by Archbishop Rush. This Church was built during 1990, and mostly by voluntary labour.

17 February 1991

Extensions of the school were blessed and opened by Archbishop Rush


The old convent/presbytery/parish office building was replaced with the new office/hall.

1 April 1994

New presbytery and new Administration block were blessed and opened by Auxiliary Bishop E. J. Cuskelly.

2 February 2006

Generous donations from parishoners enabled Fr Mark Percival to commission stained glass windows at St Oliver Plunkett Church. Installed and blessed on the Feast of the Presentation of the Lord.

21 August 2017

The Parish is given over, in perpetuity, to the care of the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate.

20 February 2018

The Title of the Presbytery and Centacare properties are transferred over to the School. Subsequently the Presbytery was demolished to make way for a new carpark - for School Staff and Parish use - and playground for the Middle-School children.

Parish Priests

1925 – 1933

Fr John Hegarty

1933 – 1934

Fr W. Kevin Murphy

1934 – 1937

Fr Oliver P. J. O’Beirne, OP

1937 – 1940

Fr John O’Connell

1941 – 1944

Fr Walter Cain

1945 – 1946

Fr George Ainslie

1950 – 1978

Fr John K. Kelly

1978 – 1990

Fr Edward Houlihan

1990 – 2001

Fr Peter Casey

2001 – 2017

Fr Mark Percival

2017 - 2020

Fr. Eric Alleaume OMI


Fr. Basti OMI



Bruce Little


James O’Brien


Ray Pardo

Assistant Priests


Fr William Hogan (Bulimba)

1929 – 1930

Fr Francis J Duffy, C.Ss.R.


Fr Thomas McMannus, C.Ss.R.

1953 – 1955

Fr Thomas J. Guy

1955 – 1956

Fr Joseph V. Troy

1957 – 1966

Fr Brian V. Burke

1964 – 1966

Fr Joseph McGeehan

1967 – 1968

Fr Graham Elliott


Fr Dermott Casey

1969 – 1971

Fr Edward Houlihan

1972 – 1974

Fr Richard Pascoe

1974 – 1975

Fr Peter G. Casey


Fr Val O’Brien, C.S.Sp.

1975 – 1976

Fr Gary Walker, S.S.C.

1978 – 1981

Fr Liam O’Reilly, S.M.

1981 – 1985

Fr Denis Riley


Fr Bernard Costigan

1985 – 1989

Fr Jack Agnew

1989 – 1992

Fr James Smith

1993 – 1995

Fr Christopher Hanlon

2019 - 2020

Fr Casmir Arul Raj OMI

2020 - 2023

Fr Joe Anthony Manickam OMI

Give Tithes and Offerings

Your generosity can make a meaningful difference in the lives of those we serve. By making a donation to Cannon Hill Catholic Parish, you directly contribute to the growth and flourishing of our community and the continuation of our vital ministries.

Scroll To Top